Monday, January 25, 2010

Exquisite Object 10pm-12pm January 24th, 2010

The Task?

: To bring completion to the evolving Exquisite Object Project.

When I walked into the studio, this is what I first encountered...















I did not have a set plan for my approach to this project, so I decided to sweep it clean, and begin with a blank canvas....






























The bike had been torn, ripped, and thrown. The pieces scattered across the ground. The bicycle was merely a memory, a moment, an afterthought. I decided to remind people, that even among the piles of rubble, there once was a somewhat functioning bicycle. I felt that a bicycle has sentimental value, it brings back memories of childhood, of viewing, and of ever evolving foundations projects. So, one by one, I gathered the parts, and attempted to puzzle the pieces back in place. I recorded myself in the process, starting from the blank canvas, and moving onward. In the essence of time, I thought that speeding up the video would not only give my viewers the information they needed, but also give them an inside glance into the process.



I wanted to use my prior footage of my process in creating this piece, and make it part of an installation piece, where the viewer feels as though they are riding the bicycle through time, watching my project come to life.


The words that I used to describe my piece were evolve, deliberate and I chose to add the word, complete. I chose this because we started with the bike, and I essentially brought the bike back to life, and therefore I wanted to use one of the original words, complete.

- Linsey



No comments:

Post a Comment