Sunday, February 28, 2010

Topography: Lake George



I chose the area around the southern portion of Lake George to reproduce. I thought this region was interesting because of the sharply declining land forms on either side of the lake. I used wood as the medium for my representation because I thought it would make an interesting connection between the lines of the topography map and the rings of the tree. Unfortunately, due to the way the the splinters, it was impossible for me to carve on the horizontal side of the wood with the rings. The rings are still visible on the sides of the carving though. I decided to portray the land as it would actually appear rather than just portraying the map and its lines. I have been to this region many times so that made it easier for me to visualize. I also wanted to convey a sense of nature since it is a rural area; I used the natural material and since the bottom is not sealed it smells like a forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment