Sunday, February 28, 2010

Topo Project - Chris Lange

I used index cards of various colors for my topo map project. Initially I thought I might use newspaper, but I felt it was too flimsy, and would provide neither a sturdy surface, nor a tactilely satisfying end product. Rather than attempt to emulate a thermally coded map, or a color coded elevation map, I just wanted to use the colors to differentiate between layers so that the viewer would not be forced to rely entirely on shadow and light to see the slight differences in height.


My map also had the virtue of having features other than just landscape on it, and so I drew in the power lines and scratched in small hatch marks to represent the railroad that ran around the map. Overall, I wanted to have an element of touch to the piece, so that it wouldn't be purely visual. Each of the different colors of index card have slightly different textures, as do the indented areas of where the ink has been added, as well as the "tracks".



Rather than display water as negative space within a square frame, I cut the cardboard into an irregular shape, resulting in a less conventional overall construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment