Sunday, February 28, 2010

Topographical Map Lauren Gilson



I decided I would go about this assignment using paper. I was very interested in the system used to illustrate the differentiating heights, and wanted to highlight this interesting layer breakdown. I realized through the beginning steps of making the paper map model that I wanted to involve lighting. I felt that the use of light really accentuated the layers, and at the same time made the map come a bit more alive. Each layer of the map is a sheet of paper with little five sheet spacers in between them, executing the fifty meters to one millimeter ratio. The structure supporting the map that houses the light source isn't ideal, but it is made up of things just from my room, and now to me, I find it interesting how what working with just the things directly accessible turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment