Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Perfect Object x20 - Spray Paint Can


I Found this project extremely challenging. I don't have that much experience with sculpture, therefore, the way I approached the project was more conceptual than technical.

I started off with the thought process of how the spray paint can works. And as my thoughts developed the sculpture became more and more abstract resulting in the importance of detail and reason for everything I choose to do.




I created the spray paint can with the objective of a playful feel by:
  • color choice (pink & yellow)
  • patterns (stripes & wire thickness)
  • off centered bottom
  • spirals
  • uneven & messy wires.
  • A light, airy ball floating in space
The attributes listed above are conscious decisions based on childhood themes.
I exposed and created faults because nothing I remember about childhood was clean or exact.

For example I used hot glue on every other wire, the hot glue did not have any purpose other then an aesthetic purpose, the staples were the stability of the sculpture. Although the staples were exposed for the same reason as the glue.

The sculpture was not intimidating, kind of like a child.

Motion:
the cardboard pieces sticking vertically out of the base is the paint inside were designed to look like paint tipping. Thats why the metal is on the outside of the cardboard, the metal is the can, paint wouldn't be on the outside of the can.

The ball is in motion complementing the cardboard paint and utilizing the positive and negative space.

Overall:
The project was a success for me.
Because most of my projects turn out strange but this one resulted in looking happy, playful, and inviting.
But after the critique it became less important to me, I was more excited about how controversial my project was for the class.

I appreciate how much everyone had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment