Sunday, February 28, 2010

Topographical Map



We were asked to bring in a topographical map, and make a three dimensional replica of it. Curiously, I wondered how I could approach this assignment. Because unlike the other assignments where I was limited with materials, this task had potential for unusual resources. As I observed my map, I discovered that it was a mountain, and it had varying shapes and sizes, but mostly it had the curves and rigidness that comes with the mountain ranges in Colorado. I wanted to keep my scale moderately small, and I knew that I wanted to add some sort of texture. I knew that I wanted my presentation also to be clean. I got black mat board, and decided that hot glue would give me the "topographical" feel to the piece, as well as allowing me to manipulate it in different ways. I knew that the hot glue would be clear, so I wanted to give it some texture, so I applied newspaper to the bottom of the sculpture. Then, in many many layers of hot glue, I slowly piled the hot glue on top of one another till eventually it made a topographical map. My end product the glue had this yellowish tint to it, yet hung on the wall, the tint gave it a perfect combination so you could see the multiple layers.


No comments:

Post a Comment