Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Coffee Cup






I reached for the recently used coffee cup in the garbage bin.



Initially, when I saw this object, I thought it would be ideal for creating any type of sculpture... however much to my dismay, I learned that a seemlingly simple object, could be the most difficult to create. Honestly, I did face many challenges in recreating this object using modeling clay. A coffee cup is not perfectly cylindrical, it curves inward at an angle. There are multiple rings around the lid of the cup as well that caused structural dilemmas. Despite all of these issues, I managed to create a coffee cup replica that was 1.8 times the size of the original.




When we were given the new assignment to take our sculpture and make it twenty times the size of the coffee cup model. I struggled to find a material that would make a 5 foot tall coffee cup, and make it 3 feet wide. I decided that my best available option was cardboard. Therefore, I took to the dumpster. When I went into the dumpster I found this enormous box. I took it apart and started to see how to manipulate the material so that it would make the shape I needed. I found out that if I made small slits throughout the cardboard then it would bend in a manner that would give me a similar form. I finished making the sculpture, and I originally had planned it to be solid cardboard, without any paint. However, to make it recognizable, I decided to roughly paint the outside of the coffee cup to match the original.


After it was all said and done, and it came time to take down our projects... I decided that now it would be a good opportunity to crawl inside....



No comments:

Post a Comment