Sunday, February 28, 2010

Topo Map

Yay Maps :)



Photo Credit : Jon Meritt :)



This is the map I started out with.
It is a 5X5 inch square of the Adirondacks.


This is how I started.
I mixed several colors of play dough.
Then I rolled it out over cardboard and newspaper.


I decided to cut the lakes out of the first layer to expose the newspaper.
I felt that was necessary because when i was little i was never allowed to play with play dough on the kitchen table.
My mom used to lay down newspaper for me to play on so that I wouldn't make a mess.


Then I cut out the shapes of the different levels of elevation and laid them out.

After laying out the final pieces I covered each elevation with a different mixture of play dough.
After I finished I tried covering it with saran wrap to keep it from cracking.
I failed at that part.
The next morning it was almost in pieces.
So I had to rework all of the layers and wet everything down to stop it from crumbling.



The End :)




No comments:

Post a Comment